Skip to main content

The real first post

O.k. That last post was really just a test as I was setting things up. Now the real, good stuff begins.

Where to next?
My kids and I are on our way to Ecuador for a month of Spanish language school. Steve will be joining us the middle two weeks of our adventure. I will answer each question in turn.

Why spanish school?
We don't know any spanish. Actually hablo Espaniol en poco. Muy poco. (The people who know spanish and are reading this are probably laughing.) Tate and I went to Honduras two years ago and I figured we would be able to get by because lots of people speak English. It is pretty much a universal language, right? Wrong! I could not function and felt very detached from the people and culture I was learning about. (The same thing happened in France but that was o.k. The French did not want to talk to me anyway.) We got separated from the fluent Spanish speaker we were with and I nearly had a meltdown. I coped by going into a Wendy's (yes, they have Wendy's in Honduras. And Burger King, KFC, etc. No Taco Bell though.) and ordering a Ocho sin queso y coke sin heilo. That is a number 8 meal with no cheese and a Coke with no ice. I told Tate to eat slowly while I tried to figure out what to do. To sum up (to late) I never want to be that helpless in Central or South America again and want to learn Spanish so I can travel there more.
--side note--I will not be learning French for when I go back there. I was permanently scarred by my high school French teacher and now can only stutter miserably when faced with anything beyond "Parlez vous Englais?"

Why Ecuador?
There are Spanish schools all over Central and South America, but we have never been south of the equator so that sounded cool. Also Ecuador is more economical than Peru or Bolivia. It is a peaceful country too.

Which school are you going to?
When I started researching schools I found several in Quito, the capital, and sent out inquiries. There were a lot I liked but settled on the one that gave the best response about the classes for my kids. Also, this school has a satellite campus in a fishing village on the coast which really appeals to me. We will attend La-Langua for four weeks and you can see it by visiting thier website. http://www.la-lengua.com/

Why a month?
The basic program takes 60 to 80 hours. We are doing four hours a day, five days a week for four weeks. Steve will only be doing two weeks of that but he is a fast learner and should do fine. I have a private teacher and the kids are together with another teacher.

Where will you be?
We will be in Quito for two weeks and then fly down to Puerto Lopez, the small fishing village for the final two weeks. Quito is at 9350 feet in Andes Mountains. The second highest capital city in the world. (La Paz, Bolivia is the highest for you curious folks.) It is one hour south of the equator but cold because of the elevation. I expect temps in the low 60's to high 40's at night and lots of rain. P. Lopez will be hot and humid and buggy.

That pretty much covers it. We leave for St. Louis this afternoon. Stay in a hotel and the fly out at 7am tomorrow. I will send another post during the five hour layover in Miami.

Comments

Hope said…
How exciting! I can't wait for your next post. Safe travels!!
Vinny said…
Que bueno! Ojalá que Uds. aprendan muchas cosas para el torneo de "trivia" en Mayo...

También, diga a Cora: Alex está habitando a nuestra casa en Chicago esta semana (para hacer visitas) y hablamos de ella a todo tiempo.
G-MA said…
This is awesome! I will sure enjoy reading about your travels. I will learn vicariously through you guys.
I am sure there will be lots of interesting stories!
PaPa said…
Have a great time guys. Looking forward to hearing about all of the activities.
CynthiaS said…
I knew you could do it!! Looking forward to reading about your adventures. Are you going to collect bugs for us??
Grammy said…
I am going to pick up my "Pimsleur Spanish" today. Having had four years in shchool, it should come back to me. (?) When you come back, we will have a spanish dinner (except, NO guinea pig!)

BTW - Frank - put a cork in it, show-off! AMERICAN is the legally official language of Chicago -- look it up!
In humble defense of my dork of a spouse, where we live in Chicago, English is sometimes the third language we hear, after Spanish, then Korean.
And Cora, I was with Frank and Alex all weekend, they only spoke about how wonderful it will be to speak WITH, not about you, in a second language.
Hope you all are having a great time.
Sarah
PaPa said…
Hello to all, glad to hear from you. Anxious to hear about the classes, no doubt intense. Cold here this morning, potential for more rain on Thursday, especially in Southern Missouri which they do not need. Plan to have supper with Steve this evening before he takes off on Thursday. All take care.

Popular posts from this blog

In Costa Rica

Again, this computer will not take an SD card. However, I am drinking the best coffee I've ever had while writing this so it's mas-o-menos. (good and bad) We were only able to spend the one night in Bocas del Toro because we made reservations at a specific hotel in Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica and they only let you cancel if the can rebook. Thus, for the third day in a row we were on the move. That is really exhausting so I'm glad we are in one place for at least three days now. It took us about five hours to get here from Bocas. We first had to get a water taxi to get back to mainland. They were very busy that day so we had to wait an hour for that. Then I splurged and paid for us to get a direct minibus to the border. Otherwise that would have been a taxi then two different busses to get there. Then we spent 30 minutes getting visas and stamped out of Panama. After that we walked across a rickety, rusted bridge into Costa Rica. From there another office for cus

Long hours in St.Louis

We drove to St. Louis last night and stayed at a hotel because our flight was scheduled for 8am.  We got up at 4:30am to get the 5:30 shuttle and be in the airport by 6. (International flights require a 2 hour check in ahead of time) When we got here we found out our flight to New York was canceled but they put us on a direct flight to Miami. That flight leaves at 11:50am. It's good that we don't have to do the extra NY leg, but I could have used the extra sleep.  We had a one day pass for the Admiral's Lounge for Steve and the kids are free so it was only $50 for me and we could hang in there for the extended time.  Money well spent.  The seats are comfortable, there is no noise, and the drinks and snacks are free.  A significant savings when you consider we have Tate. So, the Windmoeller Hillbillies moved in. We also have free computer use (thus, the blog post) and free "drinks" for the adults. Not one to ever let a free Bloody Mary pass me by...or two.