Skip to main content

In Costa Rica

Again, this computer will not take an SD card. However, I am drinking the best coffee I've ever had while writing this so it's mas-o-menos. (good and bad)

We were only able to spend the one night in Bocas del Toro because we made reservations at a specific hotel in Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica and they only let you cancel if the can rebook. Thus, for the third day in a row we were on the move. That is really exhausting so I'm glad we are in one place for at least three days now.

It took us about five hours to get here from Bocas. We first had to get a water taxi to get back to mainland. They were very busy that day so we had to wait an hour for that. Then I splurged and paid for us to get a direct minibus to the border. Otherwise that would have been a taxi then two different busses to get there. Then we spent 30 minutes getting visas and stamped out of Panama. After that we walked across a rickety, rusted bridge into Costa Rica. From there another office for customs and an entry stamp. When we walked up to the window the guy said "one hour for lunch." I had read that this can happen so cried out "oh, no! But I have children with me!" (all of this in Spanish) so he relented and let us through! The people behind us he told would have to wait but then we saw them on the road later so he must have a soft heart. Why they don't have another person take over for the lunch break is beyond me.

After the border crossing another 90 minutes on a bus (not direct so it stopped to pick up and drop about every 5 minutes!) then a last taxi to our hotel. Exhausting.

The La Costa de Pepita is very nice. We have a bungalow with five beds (heaven when you are used to a king and everything here is full size) and a porch with a hammock. This is by far the nicest place we have ever stayed when traveling in central America.

Our hotel is directly across from a really nice beach so Cora is very happy. She really does come alive at the beach. It's like she's drawn to them. She skips around and dives in and out of waves like a mermaid.

The one bad thing is that we are so far from the town and all of the food and water is very expensive out here. I did rent a bicycle and ride in twice for water and snacks. Many people ride bikes here. Big beach cruisers with no lights or helmets. The road is pocked with pothole and is very dusty so the riding was not entirely pleasant, but it did feel great to be on a bike again.

After dinner we went to the beach and it was deserted. The moon was behind a cloud so it was very dark but then the nearly full moon, which was large and a dark yellow last night, came out and lit up a streak of the lightly rolling ocean. It was magical. I stood there transfixed and trying to burn the image in my brain. Then the moon went behind the clouds again.

The day was long and difficult for many reasons, but that moment on the beach restored my faith in why we travel and that the problems we encounter are always worth it in the end.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I have no idea where you are or plan to go, but if you go to the northwest coast my friend of mine from high school (Amy Jacobs)lives there and owns a rental shop (kayaks, bikes etc) and touring agency.

PURA VIDA RIDE
+(506) 8708-9908Costa Rica
+1(949) 281-7567USA

info@puravidaride.com
http://www.puravidaride.com/
We are located on Playa Danta in the Las Catalinas community 4 kilometers north of Playa Potrero in Guanacaste, Costa Rica.
Anonymous said…
Anonymous is Barb!
Anonymous said…
Sounds pretty wonderful! Remind me sometime I would like to see what your passports look like with all of the stamps. I will have the buzzard email you the basketball schedule - he types better than me!
Love to all
G
Anonymous said…
I would like to see what your passports look like with all of the stamps.
beach cruiser bike
Tea Party said…
I absolutely adore your site! You aggressive me as able-bodied as all the others actuality and your broiled is absolutely nice.
Tea Party
Anonymous said…
I absolutely adore your site! You aggressive me as able-bodied as all the others actuality and your broiled is absolutely nice.
Lead Generation
Anonymous said…
This cruiser is what happens when you mix a classical-styled bicycle with a vibrant color pallet Hermosa Beach.
bicycle
Anonymous said…
The goal of the owners is to continue to expand the line of beach cruisers that Beachbikes.net carries while keeping prices down.
rear bike rack
helena said…
It wouldn't be a sixthreezero without the smooth cruise configuration, so you know it will not only look great, but it'll give yopu the smoothest and easiest ride possible California Bikes.
Previa For Sale

Popular posts from this blog

Long hours in St.Louis

We drove to St. Louis last night and stayed at a hotel because our flight was scheduled for 8am.  We got up at 4:30am to get the 5:30 shuttle and be in the airport by 6. (International flights require a 2 hour check in ahead of time) When we got here we found out our flight to New York was canceled but they put us on a direct flight to Miami. That flight leaves at 11:50am. It's good that we don't have to do the extra NY leg, but I could have used the extra sleep.  We had a one day pass for the Admiral's Lounge for Steve and the kids are free so it was only $50 for me and we could hang in there for the extended time.  Money well spent.  The seats are comfortable, there is no noise, and the drinks and snacks are free.  A significant savings when you consider we have Tate. So, the Windmoeller Hillbillies moved in. We also have free computer use (thus, the blog post) and free "drinks" for the adults. Not one to ever let a free Bloody Mary pass me by...or two.

The real first post

O.k. That last post was really just a test as I was setting things up. Now the real, good stuff begins. Where to next? My kids and I are on our way to Ecuador for a month of Spanish language school. Steve will be joining us the middle two weeks of our adventure. I will answer each question in turn. Why spanish school? We don't know any spanish. Actually hablo Espaniol en poco. Muy poco. (The people who know spanish and are reading this are probably laughing.) Tate and I went to Honduras two years ago and I figured we would be able to get by because lots of people speak English. It is pretty much a universal language, right? Wrong! I could not function and felt very detached from the people and culture I was learning about. (The same thing happened in France but that was o.k. The French did not want to talk to me anyway.) We got separated from the fluent Spanish speaker we were with and I nearly had a meltdown. I coped by going into a Wendy's (yes, they have Wendy