Skip to main content

Another day in paradise

April 17, 2008
Steve took writing duty today:
We took the day off yesterday and spent some time just relaxing and running errands, el banco, el bus terminad, and lunch at the Whale café which is owned by an American couple. Michelle and Cora had pancakes and Tate had sausage and eggs. I had a steak sandwich and no one had any rice. After that we tried to have a siesta which is hard to do in a town of 8000 people, 4000 dogs and 2000 motorcycles. We actually studied quite a bit on Wednesday and then headed down to the internet café/beach for the nightly round of email checking and futbol en le playa.
On Thursday after class we packed up lunch and went to Los Frailes beach. It’s part of the national park system. The beach was really nice and we were the only people there. The waves were pretty big and there was a very strong undertow. We all swam naked in the ocean. Except for Tate, he was having a wizard battle of some sort with the ocean itself. When we got back it took about an hour to get the sand out of everything and I did my last load of laundry in the wash tub. Another soccer game is planned for tonight although they seem to be less organized every night. On Friday afternoon I leave for Guayaquil at 4PM for a 4 hour bus ride. My flight leaves at 9AM Saturday and I should be in Columbia around 11PM. At least the time zones are the same.
*Michelle adds a note:
Steve loves doing laundry. He does at least a load a day when we are at home. When we were alone in Quito we did one load, after he arrived we did 3! He just can’t help himself. When we got to Puerto Lopez and he found out there was a well and washtub to do laundry here he was out there in seconds flat handwashing a bunch of clothes. I am sure Raquel and Freddy and Chian are amazed. (Chian does some of the cooking and cleaning here.) Cora asked, “Where’s Dad?” I said he was doing laundry and she said, “On vacation?”

Also, I got this e-mail from Phil at Casa Gabriel:
Hey Steve, Michelle, Tate and Cora,

It was so fun to meet you and hang out with you for a while.
I am glad you are liking Puerto Lopez... I prefer warm and sunny also :)

The things you brought us was great. We have already gone through and
organized and have been able to divvy out clothes for the boys and some for
their families. Thanks for the emails of the individuals who donated and
helped make this happen.

Just want you to know I really enjoyed spending time with your family. Loved
all the questions and comments and stories. I hope we can get together some
time in the future. Maybe when you return you can meet our other children,
Chelsea and Jordan. They will both be in Columbia for the summer. Jordan
just got an internship at Fulton at the nuclear plant and Chelsea will be
working at University Hospital and Clinics.
On Saturday we had a house work day, after lunch I broke out one of those
big bags of American candy you brought down for us and my daughter Danelle
had fun walking around sharing with all of us. :)

Blessings,
Phil for all

Comments

G-MA said…
Well I bet you guys enjoyed eating some good ol' American food - can't beat it!
By the way Steve I believe the pee remedy is for sea urchin stings...
Glad Tater and Cora are enjoying making some friends and playing soccer.
The laundry thing must be a Windmoeller trait - Larry doesn't think I know how to do it and that's fine with me.
Glad you guys got the sand out of "everything".
Steve call us Sunday and have a safe trip.
Love, G
Grammy said…
It sounds like you are having SO much fun! Isn't it amazing that children are the same everywhere? How wonderful that Tate and Cora are able to meet kids from other places, and that they can all play together and get along. I can't wait to see the pictures. Love, Grammy

Popular posts from this blog

In Costa Rica

Again, this computer will not take an SD card. However, I am drinking the best coffee I've ever had while writing this so it's mas-o-menos. (good and bad) We were only able to spend the one night in Bocas del Toro because we made reservations at a specific hotel in Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica and they only let you cancel if the can rebook. Thus, for the third day in a row we were on the move. That is really exhausting so I'm glad we are in one place for at least three days now. It took us about five hours to get here from Bocas. We first had to get a water taxi to get back to mainland. They were very busy that day so we had to wait an hour for that. Then I splurged and paid for us to get a direct minibus to the border. Otherwise that would have been a taxi then two different busses to get there. Then we spent 30 minutes getting visas and stamped out of Panama. After that we walked across a rickety, rusted bridge into Costa Rica. From there another office for cus

Long hours in St.Louis

We drove to St. Louis last night and stayed at a hotel because our flight was scheduled for 8am.  We got up at 4:30am to get the 5:30 shuttle and be in the airport by 6. (International flights require a 2 hour check in ahead of time) When we got here we found out our flight to New York was canceled but they put us on a direct flight to Miami. That flight leaves at 11:50am. It's good that we don't have to do the extra NY leg, but I could have used the extra sleep.  We had a one day pass for the Admiral's Lounge for Steve and the kids are free so it was only $50 for me and we could hang in there for the extended time.  Money well spent.  The seats are comfortable, there is no noise, and the drinks and snacks are free.  A significant savings when you consider we have Tate. So, the Windmoeller Hillbillies moved in. We also have free computer use (thus, the blog post) and free "drinks" for the adults. Not one to ever let a free Bloody Mary pass me by...or two.

The real first post

O.k. That last post was really just a test as I was setting things up. Now the real, good stuff begins. Where to next? My kids and I are on our way to Ecuador for a month of Spanish language school. Steve will be joining us the middle two weeks of our adventure. I will answer each question in turn. Why spanish school? We don't know any spanish. Actually hablo Espaniol en poco. Muy poco. (The people who know spanish and are reading this are probably laughing.) Tate and I went to Honduras two years ago and I figured we would be able to get by because lots of people speak English. It is pretty much a universal language, right? Wrong! I could not function and felt very detached from the people and culture I was learning about. (The same thing happened in France but that was o.k. The French did not want to talk to me anyway.) We got separated from the fluent Spanish speaker we were with and I nearly had a meltdown. I coped by going into a Wendy's (yes, they have Wendy