Skip to main content

Leaving Quito

Friday, April 11, 2008
I forgot to post this yesterday so you two days worth today. I don’t know what kind of internet access we will have in Puerto Lopez so you may not hear from us again until Monday or Tuesday
Wednesday:
We had a typical day of Spanish classes so I won’t bore you with those details. In the afternoon we went to Casa Gabriel which is a home for former street boys. It is run by Phil Douce from Columbia, MO. We connected with him through Dr. Ellis Ingram, the head of the pathology dept at University Hospital. My mother-in-law Kathy works with him. I did not know he was from Columbia until we met today and we knew some of the same people. Many of you reading this contributed items for us to take to the school. We were able to fill 4 large duffel bags and a big suitcase with stuff and it was all greatly appreciated.
The home was a great place to see. The boys range in age from 10 to 16 and all have committed to changing their lives for the better. They all have specific jobs, they are tutored in the morning and then go to school in the afternoon. Phil gave us a tour and talked about what some of the boys have been through. I think it was a real eye opener for Tate and Cora and for Steve and me as well. We took a lot of pictures and when we have a faster internet connection I will post them online (as well as other pictures from our travels) so you all can see what a neat place it is. Thank you to everyone who contributed stuff and allowed us to have this great afternoon.
I don’t have any more time to write now because I have to study. The work is getting more difficult and Steve and I both really have to cram a lot of knowledge in now.
Thursday:
Classes were tough again, but since we are winding down our time here in Quito the teachers have been doing little review tests with us and we are starting to see how we have progressed. That has been uplifting.
For lunch today we went to a posh Americanized restaurant and spent $18 on lunch. It is amazing how your perspective changes because we felt bad that we spent so much on one meal! Puerto Lopez is very small so we figured it was our last splurge until we get home to the US. There is only so much rice you can eat.
After lunch we took the kids to the park and did some souvenir shopping. We then stopped at a small museum dedicated to the jungle cultures of Ecuador. The best part of that was seeing a real stuffed condor (it was huge) and seeing real shrunken heads.
Now we are in for the night and have just finished writing thank you notes to our teachers and the other people who have helped us in Quito. We had to get some help from Paul and his son Jamie for that. Our Spanish is still to rudimentary.
Tomorrow is our last day in Quito and our last day at school. It will be sad to leave it. We are ready for some warm weather and sun but will really miss the people and relationships we have developed here.8am Saturday morning we fly to Manta. We are being picked up by Freddy and driven to the coastal town of Puerto Lopez. While there we will be staying in bungalows at the school. I am looking forward to that because we will not have to do so much moving back and forth. I am getting tired of carrying all of our daily needs with us every morning. Puerto Lopez should be more laid back too. It is a fishing village with only 15,000 people compared to the 2 million in Quito. Have a good weekend.

Comments

G-MA said…
Hi! I am glad you had a good experience at the school I will show your entry to Dr. I. He let me read an email he got from Debbie - they sound like amazing people. Did Phil mention Rainbow House? I think they were involved in running it for a while when they were in Columbia. Also Dr. I wondered if Phil had been back to the states recently - he seemed to think he was here for a visit recently or soon but did not know if he was coming to Columbia.
Hope you got some pics of those shrunken heads for me!
Tell the kids I have some news regarding ghost hunting in Columbia.
Love to all! G

Popular posts from this blog

In Costa Rica

Again, this computer will not take an SD card. However, I am drinking the best coffee I've ever had while writing this so it's mas-o-menos. (good and bad) We were only able to spend the one night in Bocas del Toro because we made reservations at a specific hotel in Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica and they only let you cancel if the can rebook. Thus, for the third day in a row we were on the move. That is really exhausting so I'm glad we are in one place for at least three days now. It took us about five hours to get here from Bocas. We first had to get a water taxi to get back to mainland. They were very busy that day so we had to wait an hour for that. Then I splurged and paid for us to get a direct minibus to the border. Otherwise that would have been a taxi then two different busses to get there. Then we spent 30 minutes getting visas and stamped out of Panama. After that we walked across a rickety, rusted bridge into Costa Rica. From there another office for cus

Long hours in St.Louis

We drove to St. Louis last night and stayed at a hotel because our flight was scheduled for 8am.  We got up at 4:30am to get the 5:30 shuttle and be in the airport by 6. (International flights require a 2 hour check in ahead of time) When we got here we found out our flight to New York was canceled but they put us on a direct flight to Miami. That flight leaves at 11:50am. It's good that we don't have to do the extra NY leg, but I could have used the extra sleep.  We had a one day pass for the Admiral's Lounge for Steve and the kids are free so it was only $50 for me and we could hang in there for the extended time.  Money well spent.  The seats are comfortable, there is no noise, and the drinks and snacks are free.  A significant savings when you consider we have Tate. So, the Windmoeller Hillbillies moved in. We also have free computer use (thus, the blog post) and free "drinks" for the adults. Not one to ever let a free Bloody Mary pass me by...or two.

The real first post

O.k. That last post was really just a test as I was setting things up. Now the real, good stuff begins. Where to next? My kids and I are on our way to Ecuador for a month of Spanish language school. Steve will be joining us the middle two weeks of our adventure. I will answer each question in turn. Why spanish school? We don't know any spanish. Actually hablo Espaniol en poco. Muy poco. (The people who know spanish and are reading this are probably laughing.) Tate and I went to Honduras two years ago and I figured we would be able to get by because lots of people speak English. It is pretty much a universal language, right? Wrong! I could not function and felt very detached from the people and culture I was learning about. (The same thing happened in France but that was o.k. The French did not want to talk to me anyway.) We got separated from the fluent Spanish speaker we were with and I nearly had a meltdown. I coped by going into a Wendy's (yes, they have Wendy